Velebit Association Kuterevo is looking for volunteers, preferably from neighbouring partner countries (Western Balkans) who are willing to join Kuterevo Bear Refuge project for 2 months during summer 2016 (July & August) throug EVS program (European Voluntary Service)
The volunteers will support Kuterevo Bear Refuge and the Volunteers’ Station in some of the following activities:
- construction work: digging and building new enclosures for animals
- maintaining existing facilities
- gardening and collecting food for the bears
- welcoming and informing visitors, including groups
- prepare program and exhibitions for village feasts
- support coordination of voluntary groups (scouts and workcamps)
- documenting events and life in the village as well as cultural and natural heritage
The volunteers are expected to learn in nonformal and experiential way:
- basic Croatian
- sustianable and simple living in an international community of volunteers
- about bear biology, ecology, mythology, conservation aspects
- about deep intereconnectedness among all living beings and role of bears in the web of life
- living without Internet and in connection with nature
- living with other people with very diverse backgrounds
- how to deal with problems and solutions
- volunteers will be accommodated in rooms with local families, but sometimes it will be needed to stay in a forest camp; rooms will be shared with other volunteers
- food (vegetarial, local, seasonal) will be prepared together with other volunteers in the Volunteers’ House
- intensive course of Croatian language will take place during first 2 weeks
- food, acoomodation, travel costs, insurance and pocket money covered through EVS program (if the project will be approved :))
Expectations from volunteers:
- It is more than welcome, but not obligatory, that the volunteer has some previous experience in coordination of groups or workcamps and different types of outdoor work and activities.
- volunteers should be ready for simple and communal way of living with dozen of other volunteers, interested in nature/bear conservation and coexistence with wilderness.
- volunteers should be ready for a very intensive summer,
- should be able to communicate openly, take over responsibilities and tasks agreed on and is flexible towards needs and priorities of the project.
If you are interested in spending 2 months in Kuterevo Refuge for bears and people send us your CV and motivation letter by 22nd of January 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Motivation letter should answer the following questions:
- why Kuterevo?
- what do you expect to learn, to experience, to change?
- what is your previous experience with nature?
- why should we choose you?
We are looking forward to your applications!
Kuterevo bears & people